All these expressions underlined in the sentences below come from Shakespeare’s writing. They are still frequently used in modern English.
- One second she was there and then when I turned round she had vanished into thin air.
- I’m so tired. I didn’t sleep a wink last night.
- I know he’s my own flesh and blood, but I don’t get on with my brother very well at all.
- I saw about a hundred faces sitting in front of me and when I opened my mouth and tried to speak I became completely tongue-tied.
- I think it’s high time you started working harder. You’ve done nothing for three months now.
- 6. The sound of fingernails scraping a blackboard sets my teeth on edge.
- She just started attacking him without rhyme or reason. No one can understand why she did it.